Category: Community

Journey to the Heart of Sikh Dharma

I’ve been facilitating this wonderful small-group tele-course called Journey into the Heart of Sikh Dharma for 12 years and I love it.  I’d love for you to join me and others in this enriching experience.  What I particularly moves me about it is, I guess everything!  We get to hear from amazing presenters on so
jhsd-1500

Dasmesh Gurmat Camp

An experience was what we were promised. And an experience is what we got! Dasmesh Gurmat Camp of Indianapolis Spring 2013 is what I'm talking about. Gurujot Singh (SikhNet), Gian Dharam Kaur (SDI) and Hari Simran Singh (SDI), the dynamic team that facilitated and managed over 100 children, not to mention many curious adults, with
smallIndianapois-300x200

Book Review: Warrior Saints

Kashi House, “a not-for-profit publisher of fine quality books and art print on the cultural heritage of the Sikhs and Punjab,” have released a new edition of their 1999 release on Sikh martial history: Warrior Saints: Four Centuries of Sikh Military History Vol. 1. The authors, Amandeep Singh Madra and Parmjit Singh wrote the first
Screen-shot-2013-04-30-at-2.08.51-PM

Pilgrim’s Progress

Every year during Holy Week before Easter, thousands of pilgrims walk 1 to 100+ miles to the Santuario. They walk on the interstate. They walk across hills and mountains. They walk for their health, the health of a beloved, for gratitude, for knotty problems only solved by prayer. Some walk on their knees. Some
dharmatma-k

Crown Yourself!

by Dharmatma Kaur Khalsa Sat nam. Today is Baisakhi 2013, and my heartfelt wishes that you feel renewed and strengthened with the Radiance of Guru Gobind Singh and the blessings of the Panj Piaray, the Five Beloved Ones. So I just found out that April 13 was International Turban Day. Is that cool
dharmatma-k

Khalsa Now

What are we? What are Sikhs and what are Khalsa? We know the story on that day in 1699. We know the accounts of battles and valiant warriors and saintly heroines. These are the people and the potential that we draw inspiration from. Our role models are martyrs, saints, poets, musicians, and householders. But what
Screen-shot-2013-04-08-at-11.42.50-AM

Amrit Sanchar

From the prospective of one who without hesitation knew they would go through Amrit Sanchar, I think it may be too obvious of what I would do. With the Guru present in front of me, in flesh bidding me I would not hesitate to do as my Guru ordered. If Gobind Rai was
amrit

Rehit Maryada

Becoming a Sikh was a slow process for me, and I feel every aspect has touched my soul at different times. I was a new Kundalini yoga student at Guru Ram Das Ashram in Toronto when I blithely signed up for an Akand Paath, and that night was more transformational than any yoga practice
Sat Kaur Nelson-BC

Go To Solstice

Go to Summer Solstice Sadhana. Seriously. Just do it. Go! That trip to the beach can wait.   Too expensive? Find a service scholarship. Bumps it down to 200 bucks for almost ten days of yoga and meditation in the savagely beautiful Jemez Mountains.   Okay, so you
Screen-shot-2013-03-31-at-12.26.09-PM

Holy Holla!

The dusty roads between Garhshankar and Jalandar teemed with life. Surrounded by serene wheat fields lined with wispy trees, thousands of people motored up and down the cramped highway.  They dodged affable but incessant sevaks demanding them to receive Guru’s langar. Their heads adorned with orange turbans in celebration of Holla Mohalla (Holla), the Sikh
kids-walking-200x300

Spiral of Naad

If you have never been to Darbar Sahib or India, there is a spiral circulation of people that is constant at Darbar Sahib, the Takhts (Sikh Thrones) and other large gurdwara complexes such as Goindwal or Tarn Taran. These Gurdwaras have perkarmas and sarovars—walkways encircling the water tanks. Some have only one entrance, but all
golden_temple_and_gothic_clock_tower