Benefits Administrator / HR Generalist
Akal Security, Espanola, New Mexico
Akal Security specializes in providing security for critical federal government facilities, state and local government agencies and military installations. Our Mission is to be a global leader in the security industry and a trusted partner to our clients, our employees, our communities and our nation.
Our Vision is that Akal Security will be a leader in the growth of global security and support services. We will strengthen our nation and the world by serving International Governments and global businesses with integrity and value.
PRIMARY PURPOSE AND FUNCTIONS
Assist the Benefits Manager in daily administration of all company benefits and retirement programs, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, and 401(k) plan. Provide support to Human Resources as needed.
- Assist the Benefits Manager in daily Benefits Functions to include, but not limited to:
- Paying and auditing bills, to include coding and submission of invoices to Finance.
- Ensures the accuracy of all benefits enrollments in the HRIS to provide vendors with accurate eligibility information.
- Assists in payroll deductions set up and stop as well as benefits assignment.
- Performs quality checks of benefits-related data.
- Assists employees regarding benefits claims issues and plan changes.
- Assist in employee enrollment in benefits, including forwarding enrollment forms to carriers and processing life status changes.
- Responds to benefits inquiries from managers on plan provisions, benefits enrollments, status changes and other general inquiries.
- Process and administers all disability paperwork.
- Responds to 401(k) inquiries from managers and employees relating to enrollment, plan changes and contribution amounts.
- Assists with the open enrollment process.
- Assist with Affordable Care Act Compliance and benefit review and assignment.
- Work with third party administrators.
- Coordinate COBRA letters for key personnel.
- Receive, track COBRA payments, code and report to agent, and submit.
- Responding to emails and voicemails in a timely manner.
Human Resources Function
- Assist the Human Resources Department with functions as needed.
- Special Projects
- Help company and department with special projects throughout the year.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills
- Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to use Microsoft products, including Word and Excel, experience with Google G Suite (or equivalent systems) and benefits databases.
- Ability to initiate and complete self-directed work and perform benefit administration functions.
- High proficiency in time-management skills; ability to prioritize, organize, and meet multiple deadlines.
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation.
- Ability to operate most standard office equipment.
- Good to excellent spelling, grammar and written communication skills.
- Excellent telephone and oral communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and telephone skills.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to maintain prompt and regular attendance.
Preferred Qualification, Knowledge, and Skill
- Knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, both adopted and pending, affecting employee benefits programs, including ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, Section 125, workers' compensation, Medicare, OBRA, and Social Security and DOL requirements.
- 6 credit hours of accounting (verifiable).
- Working knowledge of benefits to include Major Medical, Dental and 401(k).
- Knowledge and understanding of the Service Contract Act, a unionized work environment, and health and welfare.
- Working knowledge of garnishments and court ordered insurance.
- Experience with Pivot Tables and formulas in Microsoft Excel.
Akal Security is a VEVRRA compliant Federal Contractor and an equal opportunity employer. We will consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.