The yogi tea story began in 1969 when Yogi Bhajan started teaching yoga in the West. Yogi Bhajan, a master of Kundalini Yoga, was a pioneer of a holistic yogic lifestyle, which encourages people to live a happy, healthy and conscious lifestyle. He shared his wisdom and knowledge of healthy living and the beneficial properties of herbs while serving a comforting and aromatic spiced tea they affectionately named “Yogi Tea”. This unique Ayurvedic tea blend is based on an original recipe by Yogi Bhajan and contains cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves, and black pepper.
Yogi Tea is privately owned and operated by East West Tea Company, LLC. Operating in the US since 1972, Yogi Products are blended, packaged and shipped from the Springfield, Oregon facility, while the sales and marketing take place in the Portland office, 100 miles to the south. 60 varieties of herbal, green and black teas are available nationwide in natural food stores as well as leading grocery stores. Over the years, Yogi Tea become and remains the #1 tea brand in the US natural channel.
In Europe, Yogi Tea has been sold since the 1970s, and from 1987 under the official brand name YOGI TEE®. People all around the world now enjoy the special blends of more than 80 selected organically-grown herbs and spices that give the 44 varieties of YOGI TEA® their unmistakable flavor and health-giving properties.
The guiding principle of Yogi Tea is “Feel Good, Be Good, Do Good.”
The people at YOGI TEA® live and work to these values:
- We serve – we do this by serving a genuine and quality product to our consumers and by serving and caring for the interests of all stakeholders
- We are authentic, respectful and honest. Our products will always be grounded in Ayurveda and the health giving powers of herbs.
- We are passionate about what we do – we are committed to excellence and to a discipline of doing the right things right.
- We only make healthy products – we sustain the environment and are responsible for our impact on it.
- We will continuously improve – by creating a learning environment, by empowering our team members and by providing training and growth for people to develop and achieve their highest potential, within a pleasant and safe workplace.
- We operate with integrity – it is fundamental to all aspects of our dealings with our stakeholders.
The Original YOGI TEA Recipe
10 ounces of water (about 1 1/3 cups)
3 whole cloves
4 whole green cracked cardamom pods
4 whole black peppercorns
2 slices fresh ginger root
½ stick cinnamon
¼ teaspoon black tea
½ cup milk or milk substitute
Using a large pot, bring water to boiling and carefully add spices. Cover and boil 15 to 20 minutes, then add black tea. Let sit for 3-5 minutes, then add the milk and return to a boil. Upon reaching a boil, carefully remove from heat and strain. If desired, add honey for sweetness. Makes one 8 ounce serving.