Awakening to the Love of Guru Ram Das Ji
Join us October 4th through 10th for a seva yatra in the Punjab to celebrate Guru Ram Das ji’s birthday. Chetna is a beautiful word that means “awaken.” This yatra will be a trip of seva and devotion to awaken the love of Guru Ram Das in the sangat and in ourselves.
- Together with our Kirtan jathas, the Yatra will attend programs throughout the Punjab on the 4th through 7th. Locations are being set now, but include Amritsar, Sur Singh, Goindwal, Ludhiana, and more. We will travel together by bus, returning each night to Amritsar. Most mornings will be at your leisure for darshan at Sri Harmandir Sahib and enjoying Amritsar.
- On October 6th, we will join together at Miri Piri Academy to celebrate the Siri Singh Sahib ji’s barsi – the remembrance of his passing.
- Later, on October 6th, we will sing Kirtan at Dal Baba Bidhi Chand Ji, an ancient Nihung Dal of Guru Hargobind Sahib where Sant Hazara Singh, the Siri Singh Sahib’s great teacher, spent his last days.
- On October 8th, we will join the huge sangat in the streets of Amritsar for a jaloose in honor of Guru Ram Das ji. That night we will attend the Raag Kirtan Darbar at the Manji Sahib Hall at Sri Harimandir Sahib to hear classical Kirtan, including our own Chardi Kala Jatha.
- On October 9th, we will celebrate Guru Ram Das’ birthday with thousands of devotees at the Harimandir Sahib. The crowds will be big and our spirits will be soaring!
This is a very basic yatra that covers hotels and transportation to Kirtan seva programs that we will host around Amritsar. Previous experience traveling in India is recommended. You are responsible for getting yourself to Amritsar for our first program on the evening of October 4th. Meals are not provided by the yatra, except for Langar at the Kirtan programs and breakfast at the hotel. You will need to manage your own return from Amritsar after the morning of the 10th (unless you make your own arrangements to stay longer in Amritsar). The Yatra will provide you with hotel rooms at the Ramada (or Hyatt Hotel) in Amritsar and bus transportation to the seva programs.
For those of you who are fluent travelers in India and wish to stay in less expensive accommodations in Amritsar, you are welcome to make your own arrangements and join the Yatra programs for a small donation of any amount that will go towards covering the cost of the bus.
Hotel rooms are limited in Amritsar because of the Gurupurb and we are requesting you to register before September 1st, so that we can reserve hotel and buses. $100 non-refundable deposit holds your spot. Remember, this is the very busy time of Guru Ram Das ji’s birthday, so don’t delay in expressing interest!
- 6-day Guru Ram Das Chetna Yatra – including hotels and transportation, double occupancy – $500 (For families that want additional beds in their room for children, there is an extra cost of $25 per night per bed inclusive of breakfast.)
- 6-day Guru Ram Das Chetna Yatra – including hotels and transportation, single occupancy – $725
- 6-day Guru Ram Das Chetna Yatra –transportation only – by donation.
“Therefore, I ask you today like any other day, get out of your personal neurosis. Remove your hand and foot breaks, your fear and your complexes. Go out and teach in the Name of the Guru. You sit in your homes, on your comfortable couches and in your wonderful beds, and you think you have achieved something. You have achieved nothing but a glorified prison around you. Go out where nobody goes and touch the heart and the dirt of that land. You’ll be exalted.” Siri Singh Sahib Yogi Bhajan
If you have questions, contact our Yatra Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (505) 629-1562 x4