Guru Ram Das Chetna Yatra
Awakening to the Love of Guru Ram Das Ji
October 23 – 28, 2018
Join us in the spirit of seva, for a yatra in the Punjab to celebrate Guru Ram Das ji’s birthday. Chetna is a beautiful word that means “awaken.” This yatra will be a trip of seva and devotion to awaken the love of Guru Ram Das in the sangat and in ourselves.
ਡਿਠੇ ਸਭੇ ਥਾਵ ਨਹੀ ਤੁਧੁ ਜੇਹਿਆ ॥
“Dithey Sabhey Thaav, Nahi Tudh Jey-ia”
“I have seen all places, but there is none like thine!”
Written by Guru Arjan Dev ji upon the completion of the Sri Harmandir Sahib, the Golden Temple, it is just as true today as it was then. There is no place on earth like Guru Ram Das’ home, the Harmandir Sahib.
Here is the planned schedule:
- On October 23rd and 24th, together with our Kirtan jathas, the Yatra will attend programs throughout the Punjab. We will travel together by bus, returning each night to Amritsar. Most mornings will be at your leisure for darshan at Sri Harmandir Sahib and enjoying Amritsar.
- On October 25th, we will join Miri Piri Academy and the huge sangat of Amritsar in the streets for a Nagar Kirtan in honor of Guru Ram Das ji. That night, we will attend the Raag Kirtan Darbar at the Manji Sahib Hall at Sri Harimandir Sahib to hear classical Kirtan, including our own Chardi Kala Jatha.
- On October 26th, we will celebrate Guru Ram Das’ birthday with thousands of devotees at the Harimandir Sahib. The crowds will be big and our spirits will be soaring!
- On October 28th, we will complete the Yatra with Sunday Gurdwara at Miri Piri Academy, tour the campus and enjoy the school.
This is a very basic yatra that covers hotels and transportation to Kirtan seva programs that we will host around Amritsar. Previous experience traveling in India is recommended. You are responsible for getting yourself to Amritsar for our first program on October 23rd. Meals are not provided by the yatra, except for Langar at the Kirtan programs and breakfast if you are staying at the hotel. You will need to manage your own return from Amritsar after the morning of the 28th (unless you make your own arrangements to stay longer in Amritsar). The Yatra will provide you with hotel rooms at the Ramada (or Hyatt Hotel) in Amritsar and bus transportation to the seva programs.
For those of you who are fluent travelers in India and wish to stay in less expensive accommodations in Amritsar, you are welcome to make your own arrangements and join the Yatra programs for a small donation of any amount that will go towards covering the cost of the bus.
Hotel rooms are limited in Amritsar because of the Gurpurb and we are requesting you to register before September 1st, so that we can reserve hotel and buses. $100 non-refundable deposit holds your spot. Remember, this is the very busy time of Guru Ram Das ji’s birthday, so don’t delay in expressing interest!
- 6-day Guru Ram Das Chetna Yatra – includes hotels for 5-nights, for one or two people in the same room, and transportation– $475 (For families that want additional beds in their room for children, there is an extra cost of $25 per night per bed, inclusive of breakfast.)
- 6-day Guru Ram Das Chetna Yatra –transportation only – by donation.
“Therefore, I ask you today like any other day, get out of your personal neurosis. Remove your hand and foot breaks, your fear and your complexes. Go out and teach in the Name of the Guru. You sit in your homes, on your comfortable couches and in your wonderful beds, and you think you have achieved something. You have achieved nothing but a glorified prison around you. Go out where nobody goes and touch the heart and the dirt of that land. You’ll be exalted.” Siri Singh Sahib Yogi Bhajan
If you have questions, contact our Yatra Coordinator at email@example.com or call (505) 629-1562 x5
*Credit for the image of Guru Ram Das used in the Guru Ram Das Chetna event banner goes to G.S. Sohan Singh. You can view his artwork at art-heritage.com.
Prior to the Guru Ram Das Chetna Yatra is Camp Miri Piri at Miri Piri Academy, so if you are available, feel free to join us for both events!