This meditation is excerpted from the book “Dying into Life: The Yoga of Death, Loss and Transformation” by Dr. Jivan Joti Kaur Khalsa. It was originally taught by Yogi Bhajan on November 2, 1986 in Los Angeles, CA, U.S.A.
This meditation can help us prepare for the moment of death throughout our lives, so that at the time of death we will automatically gravitate towards the Infinite.
The night before, set your alarm for 15-20 minutes earlier than your normal wake up time. When your alarm goes off, follow these ten steps.
- Don’t get up. Say “Wha-hay Guroo.“
- Lie in Corpse Pose (flat on your back with the arms next to your sides and the palms up). Consciously die.
- Relate to your soul.
- Decorate your Subtle Body with the mantra “Wha-hay Guroo,” as you would decorate the Palki Sahib with flowers (a covered sacred carriage or altar for the Sikh Guru, the Siri Guru Granth Sahib, which has four poles, one on each end, to allow the sangat or congregation to carry it).
- Make a Palki of it – walk and chant.
- Carry it yourself to the Infinity of God.
- Settle there, purify yourself and enjoy the ecstasy.
- Then with the speed of one utterance of the word, “Wha-hay Guroo,” come back into your body. This will give you mastery over space.
- Next, come into the Dhandwaat Pranaam: lie flat on your stomach with the heels together. The arms are outstretched in front of you with the palms in Prayer Pose. Thank God. This will give you mastery over space.
- Start your day.
Practice this for at least forty days. You can also extend it up to three to six months, so you may never forget it at the time of death.
Click Here to Watch the Death and Dying Playlist featuring Dr. Jivan Joti Kaur on YouTube!
Dying into Life: The Yoga of Death, Loss and Transformation: Second Edition – Coming Soon!
Death and loss are universal experiences, which we all experience in our lives. The experience of death and loss are never convenient, and everyone responds to them differently. For some, death is an ending, a tragedy, a wall of sorts; for others, it is a beginning, a door or an opportunity for tremendous personal growth and transformation. With training, we can prepare ourselves to view and respond to these transitions with more grace and inner serenity. We can also help others in their own transformative journey. Dying into Life book and course will give you such a training.
Click Here to Sign Up to be Alerted when this Book is Available for Purchase!