The Slok brings self-satisfaction, elevation, acknowledgment, and respect to those who practice it.
Pavann guroo paannee pitaa maataa dharat mahat.
Divas raat du-i daa-ee daa–i-aa khaylai sagal jagat.
Changi-aa-ee-aa buri-aa-ee-aa vaachai dharam hadoor.
Karmee aapo aapannee kay nayrrai kay door.
Jinee naam dhi-aa-i-aa ga-ay masakat ghaal.
Naanak tay mukh ujalay kaytee chhuttee naal. || 1 ||
Air is the Guru, water is the Father,
and earth is the Great Mother of all.
Day and night are the two nurses,
in whose lap all the world is at play.
Good deeds and bad deeds; the record is read out
in the presence of the Lord of Dharma.
According to their own actions, some are drawn closer,
and some are driven farther away.
Those who have meditated on the Naam, the Name of the Lord,
and departed after having worked by the sweat of their brows,
O Nanak, their faces are radiant in the Court of the Lord,
and many are saved along with them!
Translation of the Slok in 20 Languages
- Slok of Japji Sahib in Arabic – translation by Amrita Nishan Kaur (Dalia Adel)
- Slok of Japji Sahib in Chinese – translation by the Sikh Dharma Chinese Sangat
- Slok of Japji Sahib in Dutch – translation from www.sikhs.nl
- Slok of Japji Sahib in English – based on the translation by Dr. Sant Singh Khalsa
- Slok of Japji Sahib in Estonian – translation by Mata Santokh Kaur
- Slok of Japji Sahib in Finnish – translation by Shabad Deep Kaur (Teija Enoranta)
- Slok of Japji Sahib in French – translation from www.sikhs.nl
- Slok of Japji Sahib in German – translation by SS Sat Hari Singh Khalsa
- Slok of Japji Sahib in Guarini (Paraguay & Uruguay) – translation by Sukhdev Kaur
- Slok of Japji Sahib in Hebrew – translation by Simrit Kaur Sarit Maor
- Slok of Japji Sahib in Italian – translation by Atma Singh
- Slok of Japji Sahib in Japanese – permission to share translation pending
- Slok of Japji Sahib in Malaysian – translation by Gorchanjit Singh
- Slok of Japji Sahib in Norwegian – translation by Harveen Kaur
- Slok of Japji Sahib in Polish – translation by Zbigniew Becker
- Slok of Japji Sahib in Portuguese – translation by SS Dr. Gurusangat Kaur Khalsa
- Slok of Japji Sahib in Russian – translation by Sergei Lakatosh
- Slok of Japji Sahib in Spanish – translation by SS Ravi Kaur Khalsa
- Slok of Japji Sahib in Swedish – translation by Birjot Kaur (Åse Rinman)
- Slok of Japji Sahib in Turkish – translation by Sach Dhyan Kaur (Nur Taran)
About the artist:
We are grateful to Jiwan Randhir Singh (aka Timothy Teruo Watters), the artist who created the beautiful artwork for each language translation. He is an artist, author and graphic designer. Whether writing adventurous tales, painting in watercolor or oils, Jiwan Randhir is always creating and blending the old with the new. His first children’s book When Piglets Fly was published in 2019 and is available on Amazon.com. He is honored to be a part of this Japji Sahib offering. His art can be viewed at TimothyWatters.com.
11X Video Recitations of the Slok of Japji Sahib
Note: It is recommended to recite shabads 11 times a day for a minimum of 40 days to realize their full effects.